Thursday, July 2, 2009

What I'll Be Thinking about this 4th of July:

I can't help but have my thoughts on my nephew this 4th of July. He is thousands of miles away serving our country on a dangerous mission, keeping us safe, so we can look at our flag and know we are blessed and free. Freedom comes at such a steep price and I don't know how to thank him. He is my hero.
While we are waving sparklers and eating watermelon and hearing the blasts of firecrackers, he is waving a gun, eating dirt, and hearing the blast of enemy fire. It doesn't seem fair to enjoy such peace while he is in battle.

We are holding a family fast for my dear brother, his family, and his son this Sunday. I hope my nephew will feel our prayers.

I couldn't be more proud of him and his courage and duty to his country. It is humbling to know my last name is being worn on a uniform in battle. My heart is with him.

Every time I see a service man or woman I make sure I thank him or her. It often happens with tears in my eyes and I'm sure they're thinking I'm a crazy lady. But even though I have never met them in my life, I owe my way of life to them and so I always make sure they know it. I hope we all do the same. Don't be shy! We see men and women in uniform at Costco, at the airport, at the gas station. Let's give them the thanks they deserve.

Happy 4th of July and thank you to all our troops that defend our country and make us strong and proud! All my love to you. God Bless the USA!

2 comments:

The Grant Family said...

I agree....thanks for saying it :)

Where is he serving? My dad is at Fort Eggars in Afghanistan.

Rebecca said...

what a beautiful message.. and you are right.. we should thank soliders every chance we get!! I always tear up at the airport when I see them.. growing up in the military..Its a powerful thing they do!!! Thank you for your beautiful words!!